Friday 22 August 2008

THIS IS MY ARMY, WE WILL DESTROY YOU (2)



Back by popular demand! The first one of these (Mascherano) was way back in January and tonight for some reason I got the urge to do another one. Who knows, maybe tomorrow I'll do another PAUL LEE WATCH. Who knows!

Anyway, my army needed strengthening, I needed someone else to believe in and that man is Walter Boyd. Do players, MEN, PATHFINDERS like Walter Boyd still exist in the year 2008? Maybe I'm just getting old and romanticizing through the nostalgic mists of time but I don't think they do (I actually know they do but I'll only realise this and find these people of 2008 in about 2018). Do foreign playmakers, wunderkinds still turn up on our shores without a care in the world, getting into trouble while becoming cult heroes for some lower league team who have been starved of entertainers since Bernie Clifton stopped doing his bird routine during the half time interval?

Walter Boyd was one of these men. I once saw a documentary on the Jamaican teams qualifying campaign for the 1998 World Cup. Boyd was trouble, so the people who make the big decisions said. He wasn't one of those nice English chaps, who had turned up on the scene now that it looked like the land of their forefathers might achieve something on the world stage. But the fans loved Boyd. Like all flawed geniuses he got another chance. I think it was a warm up game before the world cup and he delivered with a goal. Now I saw this programme 10 years ago so my brains probably making half of this up but the camera was in the crowd and (this is probably the made up bit) some fan in crazy make up, like a witch doctor or something, looks straight into the camera and shouts "NOW WILL THEY BELIEVE IN WALTER BOYD!" I don't think there needs to be a question mark. The line was definitely spoken, whether it was by a witch doctor type I'm not so sure. That lines stayed with me, in my subconscious for all these years and every so often I say it to my self for completely different reasons.
Walter Boyd's in my army and we will destroy you. Godspeed, you black emperor.

No comments: